Monday, August 2, 2010

Marie-Antoinette's Estate, Versailles, France

Versailles was a pleasant surprise after the predictably exciting visit to all the famous monuments in Paris. As a landscape architect I had studied about the grand scale of the Versailles Palace gardens and I always wanted to visit them. Truly, the grandeur of the gardens was as mesmerising as anticipated.

After spending half a day in the Palace gardens we decided to take a quick visit to the Marie-Antoinette's Estate. Honestly speaking, I had no great expectations from this place after the impressive strolls in the Palace gardens.

But I was wrong! The humble rustic beauty of The Queen's Hamlet was more affable than the grandeur of the Palace gardens. The estate built between 1783 and 1787 in the spirit of true Norman Village with eleven houses spread around a big lake made an everlasting graceful impression on the my mind.


Tranquil!!!


The meandering pathways guided me to a calm lake edged with modest structures on one side and gardens on the other side. The silence in estate was perforated by chirping of birds and footsteps of few tourist. 
The waterwheel.


Each house has its own garden with lush green creepers hugging the columns to reach the roofs. The flowerbeds add colour to the place.

My visit to the estate proved that big surprises come in small packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment